Tuesday, January 4, 2011

83 deadlifts! Was it worth it?


The sign above should say “Do not dead lift 83 times in 3 minutes”. Last night the WOD (crossfit term for workout of the day) was this:

AMRAP in 3 min – Deadlift 95/65lbs

rest 3 min

AMRAP in 3 min – Push Press 95/65lb

rest 3 min

AMRAP in 3 min – Hang Power Clean 95/65lb

rest 3 min

AMRAP in 3 min – Thrusters 95/65lb

While the weight was relatively manageable (I am a women so I used 65lbs) it did get heavy near the end. The first movement was the easiest for me and even though I told myself ahead of time not to go too hard on the first round (so that I could keep try to keep a consistent pace throughout the entire workout) I ending up going faster on the dead lifts than anything else. It is hard to say if the extra dead lifts caused me to have a few less reps on the push press or power cleans but the extra reps DID cause me to have poor form near the end.

I could feel my form breaking down but was moving too fast to correct it and was too focused on adding up the reps that I didn’t stop and reset. I should have!!!

60 or so reps with proper form would have been worth more than 83 with broken form near the end!! I hear so many coaches tell us this time and time again, that it is “quality over quantity” but it can be hard to remember when the music is on and the WOD has started. I guess one good way to remember it is that Crossfit is training us for our individual sport. That might be the actual Crossfit games, or running, soccer, ultimate Frisbee, etc. It might also just be training us for life and if so what we do each time we step into the gym is just practice for the “big day”. Whatever that “big day” might be form and quality will go a lot further than just reps for the sake of reps on some random Monday workout!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment