Saturday, March 5, 2011

It’s not a gym it’s a community!!!



Crossfit Portland moved locations and last week was the official first workout (WOD) in the new space! The new space is much bigger and I hope it leads to more people joining the community and getting started with what is a fun and exciting journey to see what you are capable of each time you step in the gym.


When the gym was getting close to the big move day I started getting nostalgic about the old space. It was where I started! At the time it seemed like a very intimidating and scary place. I have memories from that location for sure! There is some blood and sweat that was left behind by all of us and likely some skin here and there also! Gross I know, but really pretty awesome. I reached out to the community and asked people to send me stories or memories from the old space. I thought I’d get a huge response. I was looking forward to hearing how some of the holes in the walls came about and figured there must have been some pretty awesome moments people wanted to share. I only received 1 response!!!!!

At first I was disappointed. I had envisioned making this great post with pictures from the old place and then getting it printed out and mounted so the owners could hang it up in the new space. The more I started to think about it the more I realized it doesn’t matter WHERE we do our WOD’s it just matters who we do them with. I have used the phrase “it’s not a diet it’s a lifestyle” when talking about how I eat and when I think about it “it isn’t a gym it’s a community”.

What happens in that community goes far beyond the 4 walls of any space we might occupy. It doesn’t matter if we are in the new space or the old space. I don’t show up ready to give it my all because of the 4 walls around me. I show up because of the community that is inside those walls. My friends are there and we are going to work as hard as we can and then we are going to go out for happy hour, drinks, or breakfast. The people I WOD with have become some of my closest friends. We know each other’s strengths and weaknesses and we know how and when to push each other. The people in this community haven’t changed because the 4 walls around us are bigger and in a new location. We don’t have to pause and take note of our memories because nothing is ending. We are the same people part of the same community and still together. We just have more space now!




No comments:

Post a Comment