Sunday, August 14, 2011

Chait Creations!

Halfway there!

First a big shout out to all the girls (and Steve and Matt!!!!!) who are just about finished with the first 15 days of Whole 30! Nice job everyone!

This has been a fun round of 30 for me with so many people from the gym (Crossfit Lake Oswego) participating and everyone getting involved to support each other and share tips and recipes!

Nice work ladies (and Steve and Matt!!!!!).

Post WOD
Almost everyone has been struggling with what to have post WOD. We all want to get our protein and clean carbs in, but packing it all up and having it handy post WOD has been a challenge. A few people have given up their non Whole 30 post WOD shakes and are now looking to replace that with something just as fast and convenient.

Brittany came up with an awesome shake recipe and it can be found on her blog-here! I know a lot of our Whole 30'ers have tried this recently and like it.

Allison recently came up with the "muffin" creation below and it seems like a nice portable option. Based on her math you would have to eat about 4 of these to get the right about of protein/carb, etc. post WOD. I am not sure how I feel about that. Seems like a lot but I am thinking 1-2 post WOD as I drive home before dinner might be good to get something in my body right after the WOD and before a bigger meal.


Here is the recipe Allison created!

8 eggs
1 can pumpkin
1 can coconut milk
2 small apples
vanilla powder
all spice
masala spice

Separate the 8 eggs.

Mix yolks with 1 can pumpkin, 2/3 cup of just the cream from a can of coconut milk (water drained and discarded).

Add 2 small peeled and diced apples with 1 tsp Madagascar vanilla powder, 1/2 tsp allspice,
1/4 tsp garam masala to the pumpkin mixture.


In separate bowl whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently FOLD with spatula into pumpkin mixture.

It's OK for fluffy bits of egg white to remain unincorporated.

Fill muffin tins all the way and bake at 375 for 35-40 min. (use a non stick pan, or lightly grease pan with a little olive oil.)


Note from Allison: When they smell good, pull em' out of the oven! We got 16 muffins and after all the math, I calculated 4 muffins = a 2 egg serving with carb and a touch of fat.



Menu this week

In addition to Allison's creation above on my menu this week:

LUNCH
From the wonderful Scotty Hagnas:
Jambalaya
I am going to add less "liquid" (so less chicken broth and less tomato sauce) and more dense items (cans of dices tomatoes, etc) to this to make it more of a thick, hearty meal and less soup like.

Chicken!
I am going to bake in the oven a batch of chicken that is marinating in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and cilantro and another batch that is marinating in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and rosemary (from my garden!).

I am going to pair the chicken with this summer salad recipe I found - but going to leave out the honey! (not Whole 30!). I am going to keep the veg and "dressing" separate and toss it all together right before I eat each day-to keep the veg from getting soggy.

That should be enough for lunch!

BREAKFAST
For breakfast this week I am just going with hard boiled eggs and going to cook a little extra each night at dinner and save a few bites to go with my eggs in the morning.

DINNER
Dinner will be fajitas, salmon and zucchini (both cooked with lots of dill!) , and stir-fry with stew meat (if you add some coconut Amonis you get a nice flavor for a stir fry without having to use a non clean marinade or soy sauce!).











2 comments:

  1. I thought it might be a good idea to post what happened when I cooked the items above!

    First, on the post WOD muffins, I have to give myself a big no rep/fail there.

    They didn't come out right, don't taste that great, and totally stuck to the pan.

    If using a pan that is not non stick, really grease it well. Something isn't right with them, I will ask Allison to post the specific brands she used for her ingredients. Mine are just a pile of mush. oops.

    The jambalaya!!! This came out GREAT, but not sure what I did because I have 3X as much as I thought I would have. I guess my "double this veggie here", "double that veggie there" really added up. Recipe below with my comments for things I changed.

    • 1 Tbsp olive oil + 1 tsp, divided
    • 1/2 lb spicy sausage, sliced (look for anoudale sausage) (PistolsRX: Not sure how many pounds I used, but it was 4 regular side sausage links)
    • 1/2 lb shrimp (PistolsRX: Not sure how many pounds again, but it was a little less then 1/2 of a 50-80 count bag)
    • 1 C chopped onion (PistolsRX: I used 4!!)
    • 3/4 C chopped green pepper (PistolsRX: I used 4!!)
    • 1/2 C chopped celery (PistolsRX:I used an entire package from Trade Joes!)
    • 2 C chicken broth
    • 1 1/2 C water ((PistolsRX:I did not add any water)
    • 1 tsp cajun seasoning + 1/8 tsp, divided
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 2 cans El Pato tomato sauce
    • 1 1/2 C finely chopped cauliflower (PistolsRX:I didn't add this, forgot it at the store and with my increased veg above probably wouldn't have been able to fit it in the pan anyway!)
    • Dash of cayenne pepper
    (PistolsRX: I added 2 cans of diced tomatoes with garlic, added the entire can. Did not drain it, figured this was my "water" that I kept out above)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you get credit for my transformation.
    i get credit for the hearty jambalaya mods.
    we're both rocking it.
    psyched you dig the grub.
    -shiv

    ReplyDelete